01463 234 917 welcome@bunchrewhousehotel.com
Book Now
  • slider-img1
  • slider-img3
hide slider

Legal Matters

There are several things you should consider before getting married in the Highlands of Scotland, especially if you are from abroad. You can marry in Scotland by a religious ceremony, a humanist ceremony or a civil ceremony. A civil ceremony can only be conducted by a Registrar authorised by the Registrar General for that purpose. A religious or humanist ceremony may be conducted only by a minister or humanist authorised to do so by the Marriages (Scotland) Act 1977.

Whatever ceremony you are planning, you are required to submit notice forms to the Registrar in the district where you plan to marry. This must be done in the three months preceding your chosen date, but no later than 15 days before your date.
Also, if you are coming from abroad, you should obtain a certificate issued by your local civil authority that states there is no obstructing factor to your marriage (for example, documentary evidence that any previous marriage in another country has been ended).

Legal Preliminaries to Marriage in Scotland
It is important that persons intending to marry in Scotland make personal contact with the local Registrar for the district in which their proposed marriage is to take place regardless of whether their wedding ceremony is to be civil, humanist or religious. This will ensure that the necessary legal preliminaries to Marriage in Scotland are adhered to, within the statutory time limits required.

Should you choose the Inverness Area for your wedding, please contact the Inverness Registration Office for help and advice regarding your forthcoming marriage.

Inverness Registration Office, The Highland Archive and Registration Centre, Bught Road,
Inverness IV3 5SS
Tel: +44 (0) 1463 256 400 Fax: +44 (0) 1463 712 412

The Highland Council has comprehensive information available to help you on the following site: www.highland.gov.uk/landaintra/corporate_services/registrar/marriage.htm

Alternatively to obtain information relevant for Marriage in Scotland, please visit the website of the General Register Office for Scotland, New Register House, Edinburgh, www.gro-scotland.gov.uk where you will find a list of all Registration Offices in Scotland, as well as the facility to download the required explanatory leaflets and prescribed forms.